Topic: Cheviot street names

Topic type:

Details the naming of certain streets in the Cheviot Township

The Cheviot Estate,  owned by the Hon William Robinson,  often referred to as   "Ready Money Robinson" covered an area from the Waiau River to the north to the Hurunui River in the south,  the Lowry Hills to the west and the Pacific Ocean to the East. 

Following Robinson's death in 1889,  negotiations were opened with the Government of the time provincial with the view to the Government purchasing the estate and sub-dividing the land,  thus opening up new land for settlement.  This was an historic event in New Zealand's history as it became the blue-print for other large estates to be purchased and subdivided.

Cheviot was renamed McKenzie in recognition of John McKenzie the then Minister of Lands, 1983.  However,  the name Cheviot held greater meaning for the settlers and would not be confused with the provincial area of McKenzie further south, so the name reverted back to Cheviot in the 1920's both for the township and the County.

The township of Cheviot was mapped out and the majority of streets were named after politicians of 1893 either serving in Parliament or in the Legislative Council.  The following is a brief outline of these streets and the men they were named after. 

WARD ROAD:  Named for Joseph George Ward 1855 - 1930.   He was a Merchant,  Politician and Prime Minister.   In 1863 he came to New Zealand from Australia and in 1879 was elected to the Campbelltown Borough Council.  He was a member of the Bluff Harbour Board from 1880 and became the Member of Parliament for Awarua in 1887.   In 1891 he became the Postmaster General.  In 1891 he decided to build the Ocean Beach Freezing Works. In 1892 he became Colonial Treasurer but in July 1897 he resigned from his seats in Parliament and on the Bluff Harbour Board.   In August 1897 he was re-elected to Parliament and was soon back on the Harbour Board.   In November 1898 he was elected Mayor of Bluff.  By 1899 he was Deputy Prime Minister and held the portfolios of Colonial Secretary,  Postmaster General,  Industries and Commerce, Railways and Public Health.   In 1901 he was appointed KCMG and in 1906 became Prime Minister on the death of  Richard Seddon.   In 1911 the election was  deadlocked and in 1912 Ward resigned as Prime Minister,  resuming his position as Liberal Leader in Parliament in 1913.   In 1915 a National Ministry was formed with Ward becoming Massey's Deputy.  In 1919 the Liberals withdrew from the National Ministry,  Ward becoming Leader of the Opposition.   In 1919 he lost his Awarua seat and in 1925 he became the member for Invercargill.  In 1928 he became Prime Minister as a member of the United Party and in 1930 retired as Prime Minister but remained a Minister without Portfolio until his death.

MILLAR STREET:  Named for John Andrew Millar - 1855-1915.   He was a seaman,  Trade Union leader and Politician.  He was born in India in 1855.  He arrived in New Zealand in 1870 and was apprenticed to the Albion Shipping Line.   He gained his Masters Certificate in 1884.   In 1886 he was elected as the first full time General Secretary of the Federated Seamen's Union of New Zealand.   In 1893 he was elected to Parliament representing Chalmers  (previously Port Chalmers).  From 1896 to 1914 he was elected to Parliament representing Dunedin,  following changes to the electoral boundaries.   From 1896 to 1901 he served on the Otago and Southland Board of Conciliation.   In 1903 he was appointed Chairman of Committees and was appointed Minister of Labour and Minister of Marine and Customs in 1906.   He was appointed Minister of Railways (lost Labour and Customs) in 1909,  and was reappointed Minister of Labour five months later.    In 1919 he was appointed to the Legislative Council.

SEDDON STREET:  Named for Richard John Seddon - 1845 - 1906.   He was a Politician and Premier.  In 1866 he arrived at Hokitika and worked the gold fields.  From 1870 - 1880 he served on the Arahura Road Board and in 1877 was elected the first Mayor of Kumara.  In 1878 he was elected to Parliament representing Hokitika.   In 1887 he became Chairman of the Goldfields and Mines Committee,  and in 1891 became Minister of Marine.  In 1892 he became Acting Prime Minister and from 1893 to 1906 was Prime Minister.   As well as his duties as Prime Minister he also held the following portfolios:  1893-1896 - Minister for Public Works;  1893-1899 Minister for Native Affairs;  1896-1906 Minister of Labour, Colonial Treasurer, Minister of Education, Minister of Immigration and Minister of Defence.   The following important reforms were enacted under his leadership:  1894 The Government Advances to Settlers Act;  1894 The Industrial Conciliation and Arbitration Act;  1898 the Old Age Pensions Act;  and in 1899 he brought about the formation of the Liberal and Labour Federation of New Zealand.   The most endearing aspects of his reputation have been his humanitarianism,  his boisterous imperialism and his status as the originator of a populist style of Prime-Ministerial leadership in New Zealand.  He was widely known as  "King Dick".

LEVIN STREET & LEVIN ROAD:  Named for William Hort Levin - 1845 - 1893.  He was a Merchant,  Politician and Philanthropist.    He was born in Wellington in 1845 and elected to Parliament in 1879.  In 1884 he resigned from Parliament because of ill health.   His political interests were now centred on provincial concerns,  notably seeking a "fair" share of public works expenditure for Wellington.  He was instrumental in wresting the Wellington Harbour from the City Corporation and establishing the Wellington Harbour Board,  becoming its first Chairman.  He was also very involved in the formation of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company.  He was a major force behind the formation of the Wellington Working Men's Club and the Literary Institute.   He was well known for his charity work.   On his death,  flags in Christchurch were flown at half mast.

CAVERHILL ROAD:  Named for John Scott Caverhill - 1820 - 1897.  He was a runholder who came to New Zealand from Australia in 1846.   In 1850 he managed the Greenwoods property at Motunau.  He explored and stocked land between the Hurunui and Waiau Rivers,  building a shed and later a homestead called  "The Retreat".   In 1851 he was granted 60,000 acres of land between the Hurunui and Waiau Rivers which he named Cheviot Hills.  He held this land under Crown Lease but did not freehold it.   In 1856 the leasehold licence for the Run was transferred to William Robinson.  From 1857 to 1872 Caverhill purchased and developed the Hawkswood Estate,  and in 1872 he sold Hawkswood and purchased Highfield.  In 1875 he moved to settle first of all at New Plymouth and then at Hawera.

ROLLESTON STREET:  Named for William Rolleston 1831 - 1903.  He was a Public Administrator, a Politician,  an Educationalist, and Provincial Superintendent.   In 1863 he was appointed to the Commission of Education.  From 1863 to 1865 he was Secretary for the Canterbury Provincial Council,  and from 1865 to 1868 he was appointed Under-Secretary in the Native Department.  In 1868 he was appointed Superintendent of the Canterbury Provincial Council.   The Canterbury Province rose to primacy among the provincial economies on its wool and wheat.  Rolleston governed well,  setting himself to administer fairly and economically.  Canterbury made great strides in public works and immigration.  As provincial institutions declined,  Canterbury stood out as the model province and Rolleston as the model Superintendent.  In 1869 Rolleston became a member of the House of Representatives and from 1879-1887 he was a member of cabinet becoming responsible for Lands,  Immigration,  and Education.   In 1882 the Land Act passed under his leadership was warmly welcomed in land hungry Canterbury.  It introduced a scheme for leasing Crown Land.  This he saw as an endeavour to prevent class conflict from emerging in New Zealand.   In 1887 he lost the General Election in Canterbury to W P Reeves.  In 1890 he returned to Parliament as the representative for Halswell but was defeated in the next General Election in 1894.   In 1895 he returned once again to Parliament but in 1899 lost the election by one vote,  thus ending his Parliamentary career.  As Rolleston's power in politics declined,  his influence as political mentor rose.  In the twilight of his life he was widely hailed as a statesman.  Indeed he bcame closer than any man to embodying a political conscience for colonial New Zealand. 

CADMAN STREET:  Named for Alfred Jerome Cadman - 1847 - 1905.  Cadman was a sawmiller and politician who came to New Zealand from Australia in 1848.  In the period 1877 to 1886 he was a member of the Tiki Highway Board and then became the first Chairman of the Coromandel County Council.  In the period 1881 to 1887 he was a Member of Parliament representing Coromandel.  He supported the movement for the eight hour working day in 1886.  In 1890 he became the Member of Parliament representing Thames,  He was appointed Minister for Native Affairs in 1891.  In 1892 the Native Land Act was passed dismantling the Native Department.  The Native Land Purchase Office transferred to the Department of Lands & Survey.   In 1893 Cadman was made Minister of Justice and Minister of Mines.  He became Minister of Railways in 1894.   In 1900 he resigned his seat in Parliament because of ill health and was appointed to the Legislative Council.  He served on the Executive Council as Minister without Portfolio.  In 1903 he was appointed KCMG and in 1904 was elected Speaker of the Legislative Council.

McQUEENS  ROAD:  Named for Alexander McQueen - 1841 to 1916.   McQueen was a local Shepherd.   He emigrated to New Zealand in 1877 and in 1880 was employed as a shepherd at Cheviot Hills.  He was apointed Head Shepherd of Cheviot Hills in 1884.   From 1893 to 1914 he was the Manager of Cheviot Hills and Happy Valley Stations,  and in 1914 retired to Christchurch due to failing health.

HALL STREET:  Named for John Hall - 1824 to 1907.  Hall was a Runholder,  Politician and Premier.  From 1853 to 1871 he was a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council and in 1855 he was elected to Parliament.  From 1862 to 1863 he was Chairman of the first Christchurch City Council and from 1877 to 1879 was a founding member of the Selwyn County Council.  From 1862 to 1866 he served on the Legislative Council and in 1872 was leader of the Legislative Council.  From 1879 to 1882 he was Premier.   In 1882 he was awarded a KCMG.  In 1883 he retired from Parliament but was re-elected to Parliament in 1887.  Hall was in the forefront of a great Liberal cause.  He was approached by the female suffrage movement and assumed parliamentary leadership in the campaign having long believed that women had the right to vote.  He felt that their influence would exercise a conservative influence.   The passing of the Electoral Bill in September 1893 which gave the vote to women stands as his final and lasting political triumph.  He retired from Parliament in November 1893. 

CARROLL STREET: Named for James Carroll - 1857 - 1926. He was Nati Kahungunu, Farm Worker, Interpreter and Politician. In 1891 he was a Liberal Member of Parliament and in 1892 was appointed a member of the Executive Council representing the Native Race. In 1893 he supported the Native Land Acquisition Act, and contested and won the general (European) seat of Waiapu. He held this seat until 1908 when there was a boundary change. From 1908 to 1919 he represented Gisborne, serving as Acting Prime Minister for a period in 1909. In 1911 he again served as Acting Prime Minister for a period. In 1911 he was appointed KCMG, and in 1921 was appointed to the Legislative Council. ROBINSON STREET: Named for William Robinson 1813/14 - 1889. Robinson was a Runholder, Pastoralist, Sportsman and Politician. He came to New Zealand from Australia in 1856 and that same year freeholded the Cheviot Hills Run. From 1857 to 1859 he represented Amuri on the Nelson Provincial Council. In 1869 he was appointed to the Legislative Council. In 1879 he built the Port Robinson Slipway and the Hurunui Bridge. In 1888 the Cheviot Hills Homestead was completed. Cheviot Hills became a self sufficient pastoral kingdom and a symbol of runholder wealth. The subsequent subdivision into farms was a turning point in New Zealand land settlement history.

BUCKLEY STREET:  Named for Patrick Alphonsus Buckley - 1840 to 1896.  Buckley was a Lawyer,  Politician  and Judge.  He was born in Ireland in 1840 and fought with the Papal forces against the Piedmontese in 1860.  He was wounded twice before being taken prisoner.  He came to New Zealand from Australia in 1865.  From 1871 to 1873 he was a member of the Wellington City Council and in 1872 was the member for Karori and Makara on the Wellington Provincial Council.  In 1878 he was appointed to the Legislative Council.  From 1884 to 1887 he was a member of the Stout-Vogel Minsitry and from 1891 to 1893 was a member of the Balance Ministry.  From 1893 to 1895 he was a member of the Seddon Ministry.  At various times he held the following offices:  Leader of the Legislative Council,  Colonial Secretary,  Attorney General,  Postmaster General and Minister of Marine.  In 1892 he was appointed KCMG.   In 1895 he retired from the Legislative Council and was appointed Judge of the Supreme Court.

REEVES STREET:  Named for William Pember Reeves 1845 to 1932.  Reeves was a Politican,  Historian,  Poet,  High Commissioner  and Banker.  He was the Editor of the Canterbury Times and was elected to Parliament for St Albans in 1885.  He became the Editor of the Lyttelton Times in 1886.  In 1891 he was appointed Minister of Education and Justice and in 1892 was appointed Minister of Labour (the first,  it is said,  in the British Empire).  In 1894 he introduced the Industrial Conciliation and Arbitration Act.   This introduced arbitration in industrial disputes probably for the first time in the world.  In 1894 he introduced the Factory Act forbidding employment of children under 14 years of age.   In 1895 he was appointed Agent General for New Zealand in the United Kingdom.  In 1898 he wrote an outstanding history of New Zealand  "the Long White Cloud" which became the standard interpretation of New Zealand history until the 1950's.  In 1905 he was appointed High Commissioner for New Zealand in the United Kingdom and in 1908 was appointed director for the London School of Economics.

MONTGOMERY STREET:  Named for William Montgomery - 1821 to 1914.  He was a Merchant,  Politician,  Educationalist and Runholder.  He camer to New Zealand from Australia in 1860 and set up as a timber and general merchant.  He was elected a member of the Heathcote Road Board in 1864,  and married Jane Todhunter in 1865.  In 1866 he was elected to the Canterbury Provincial Council representing Heathcote.  He became Provincial Treasurer and Deputy Superintendent in 1867.   In 1874 he was elected Member of Parliament for Akaroa,  and in 1874 and 75 was Leader of the Executive Council.  In 1882 he was the Leader of the Opposition,  in 1884 Colonial Secretary and Minister of Education,  and in 1887 he retired from politics.   In 1892 he was recalled by Prime Minister John Ballance to the Legislative Council,  becomig elder statesman of the Liberal Party following Ballance's death.  He also became Leader of the Legislative Council in that same year.  In 1893 he was appointed to Richard Seddon's Cabinet.  In 1907 he resigned from the Legislative Council.   William Montgomery also played a major role in developing New Zealand's public education system.  From 1867 to 1875 he was a member of the Canterbury Education Board,  and from 1878 to 1887 and 1891 to 1987 he was a member of the North Canterbury Education Board.   From 1873 to 1903 he was a member of the Board of Governors of Canterbury College.  He was responsible for seeing the completion of the College buildings,  the Museum,  Christchurch Boys' High School and the School of Art.

ROBINSON STREET:  Named for William Robinson 1813/14 to 1889.   Robinson was a Runholder, Pastoralist, Sportsman and Politician.  He came to New Zealand from Australia in 1856 and immediately freeholded the Cheviot Hills Run.  From 1857 to 1859 he represented Amuri on the Nelson Provincial Council.  In 1869 he was appointed to the Legislative Council.  In 1879 he built the POrt Robinson slipway and the Hurunui Bridge.   The Cheviot Hills Homestead  (commonly known as the Mansion House)  was completed.  Cheviot HIlls became a self sufficient pastoral kingdom and a symbol of runholder wealth. The subsequent sub-division into farms was a turning point in New Zealand land settement history. 

DEER PARK ROAD:  Although John Scott Caverhill imported deer in 1868,  no record exists of deer being liberated at Cheviot.  Caverhill's deer were kept in Christchurch until 1873 when some died while being captured.  Only two survived.  These were sent to Sir John Cracroft-Wilson.   A deer came to Cheviot in the early days and roamed around in the area known today as Deer Park Road.   The deer was eventually destroyed because it became dangerous.        Reference:  "History of Canterbury Acclimatisation Society"   R Lamb.

The following two Politicians served their electorates faithfully.  However,  they did not reach prominence on the national scene and it has been difficult to research their backgrounds.

FERGUS STREET:  Named for Thomas Fergus - 1815 to 1914.  He was a Politician representing the Otago electorate of Wakatipu from 1881 to 1893.  He became Minister of Defence from 1884 to 1889 and Minister of Justice from 1887 to 1889.  Thomas Fergus had a loud booming voice and challenged many speakers in the House,  especially Reeves who nicknamed him Boanerges which means Son of Thunder.

HUTCHINSON STREET:  Namewd for George Hutchinson who arrived in New Zealand with his parents in the 1850's and became a Lawyer and a Politician.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags